If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to take immediate steps to protect your rights. While not an exhaustive list, here are some helpful things to remember to do in case a car accident occurs:
- Call the police. Having the police at the scene of the accident ensures you have an official record of the collision and protects key evidence.
- Call your insurance company. Tell the insurance company how the accident occurred and the extent of your injuries.
- Talk to witnesses and take photographs. Make sure you obtain the contact information of any potential witnesses. Take photographs of the cars, the accident scene, your injuries, the surrounding traffic, and the weather.
- Get medical treatment. Do not let anything get in the way of your medical care. Maybe you cannot get time off work, are worried about health insurance coverage, or do not think your injuries are serious. However, delaying, skipping, or only getting intermittent treatment could damage your health and your case. Keep track of medical professionals you seek treatment from and also your medical bills.
- Do not talk to the other driver’s insurance company. Do not talk to anyone about the accident other than your attorney, your insurance company, and the police. Do not talk to a representative of another insurance company without the knowledge of your attorney or your insurance company. If representatives from other insurance companies should call you, ask them to call your attorney or insurance company to arrange for any interview.
The Law Office of Shannon G. Starr, LLC handles car accident and personal injury cases. To learn more, or set up a consultation, contact Shannon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer – The content of this article is intended to be general and informational in nature. It is advertising material and is not intended to be, nor is it, legal advice to or for any particular person, case or circumstance. Every situation is different and you should consult an attorney if you have any questions about your situation.